Staff & Departments
ATPE employs a staff of approximately 60 employees to deliver member services across the state. Guided by ATPE's core values of Service, Teamwork, Communication, Professionalism and Excellence, these individuals work tirelessly to serve individual member needs and further the interests of all Texas educators.
In addition to accounts payable, accounts receivable, and invoicing, ATPE Accounting staff members receive phone calls and correspondence from ISDs, members, and local units with regard to payroll deduction.
- Sr. Staff Accountant: Javier Ybarra
Revenue Accountant: Barbara McGrath
- Staff Accountant: Kelly Shipman
Accounts Payable/General Ledger Assistant: Stephanie Williams
Accounts Receivable Specialist II: Carolyn Jenkins
- Accounts Receivable Specialist I: Vanessa Salazar and Aaron Garcia
ATPE Administration staff members act as liaisons and support for the ATPE state officers and Board of Directors and other ATPE state office staff members. Members of the department are involved in ATPE staff member management, ATPE facilities issues, liability insurance claims and negotiations, and other special projects concerning members and staff members.
Executive Director: Shannon J. Holmes, Ed.D
- Executive Assistant: Amy Dodd
- Associate Executive Director: Gary Richardson
- Associate Executive Director for Member Services: Jennifer Mitchell, CAE
HR/Operations Director: Amanda Bernstein, SHRM-CP
- Office Administrator: Lisa Gallina
ATPE Governmental Relations staff members support members by advocating for public education at the local, state, and national levels. Staff members assist the membership in advancing ATPE positions and philosophies by conducting political involvement and issue-oriented training, candidate surveys, campaign forums, and meetings with candidates and officeholders. The department disseminates information to members about legislative and policy issues through ATPE's advocacy website, TeachtheVote.org, which features political involvement resources, profiles of candidates and officeholders, and the Teach the Vote blog.
Staff members also host ATPE's Political Involvement Training and ATPE at the Capitol event in odd-numbered years and manage the ATPE Political Action Committee (ATPE-PAC).
Governmental Relations Director: Monty Exter, J.D.
- Senior Lobbyist: Mark Wiggins
- Lobbyist: Tricia Cave
ATPE Information Technology staff members are responsible for the development and maintenance of this website, the ATPE membership database, the state office computer network, and the telephone/voicemail systems.
Information Technology Director: Bret Messer
- System Administrator: Brian Park
Application Support Specialist: Eddy Williams
ATPE Marketing and Communications staff members are responsible for most communications that are disseminated from the state office, including membership materials and ATPE publications such as ATPE News, the ATPE Blog, the Leader Blog, and other publications that keep members informed about their profession, both inside and outside of the classroom. They deliver innovative solutions, promotions, and advertising campaigns that integrate and coordinate the resources of all departments at ATPE and oversee outsourced vendors as needed. Staff members are also responsible for the oversight of the ATPE brand and all aspects of the annual marketing plan to drive member engagement and recruitment. They maintain website content and provide ATPE local unit and region leaders with business cards, newsletter mastheads, and personalized letterhead for local unit and region use, among other things.
Marketing and Communications Director: Kate Johanns
- Managing Editor: David George
Senior Designer: John Kilpper
Digital Marketing Specialist: Jennifer Price
Marketing and Communications Specialists: Jack Densmore and Michael Spurlin
ATPE Events is responsible for planning and facilitating all state meetings and events which includes ATPE Board of Directors meetings, standing and special committee meetings, the ATPE Summit, and other special events.
Events Director: Andrea Elizondo, CMP, CMM
Staff members in the ATPE Member Legal Services Department provide legal assistance and representation to eligible ATPE members on topics such as terminations, disciplinary matters, illegal discrimination, leave, evaluations, contracts, and more.
Member Legal Services Intake System
Member Legal Services Department Director: Judd Gibson
- Member Legal Services Department Managing Attorney: Lance Cain
- Senior Staff Attorney: Sylvia Martinez-Haley
- Staff Attorneys: Jennifer Gordon, Jeff Kelly, Celina Leal, Martha Moring, and Jessica Strickel
- Senior Legal Assistant: Tammie Brown
Legal Assistants: Ronnetta Carr, Sheri Hill, and Tracy Revetta
Legal Receptionist: Sonia Howell
ATPE Membership staff coordinate the annual membership recruitment and retention drive, answering questions regarding ATPE membership and programs, offering professional learning opportunities, organizing ATPE’s services and discounts programs, providing support to ATPE’s volunteer leaders, and administering ATPE’s awards and grants program. The ATPE regional membership specialists bring ATPE's message to districts, colleges, and universities around the state and provide support to ATPE's local units and regions in their respective areas.
Membership Director: Joy England
- Membership Program Manager: Chris Chodacki
- Membership Assistants: Michael Cowan and Natalie Soble
- Membership Field Supervisor: Kelly Greer
- Regional Membership Specialist, Regions 1 and 2: Roger Gutierrez
- Regional Membership Specialist, Regions 3 and 4: Cynthia Villalovos
- Regional Membership Specialist, Regions 5, 6 and 7: Ginger Franks
- Regional Membership Specialist, Regions 8 and 10: Joseph Cruz
- Regional Membership Specialist, Regions 9 and 11: Diane Pokluda
- Regional Membership Specialist, Regions 12, 14 and 15: Mary Jane Waits
- Regional Membership Specialist, Regions 13 and 20: Yvette Milner
- Regional Membership Specialist, Regions 16, 17, 18 and 19: Jeff Vega
ATPE Public Relations staff members are responsible for the promotion of the association's positions, events, and activities to all entities that have a stake in public education and in ATPE. Staff members seek out and capitalize on opportunities to get positive media coverage both locally and at the state level. In addition to state-level projects, ATPE Public Relations works with local units and regions to create and maximize existing public and media relations opportunities. Staff members also serve as ATPE spokespeople when dealing with the media.
Marketing and Communications Director: Kate Johanns