Learn New Skills with These Six Great Professional Development Options
Date Posted: 6/26/2017
Looking to learn new skills during the summer break? These professional development options will help you hone your teaching skills so that you can make 2017-18 your best teaching year yet!
- Texas Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development: ATPE has partnered with TXASCD to offer a 10 percent registration discount to ATPE members for professional learning opportunities. The discount also applies to the annual conference registration. Access the code through Services and Discounts portion of the ATPE website.
- Texas Gateway: Texas Gateway is a TEA-approved CPE provider that offers free professional development courses for educators across the state. You can search courses by specific TEKS to help target your professional development efforts.
- PBS TeacherLine: PBS TeacherLine has courses that are aligned with the Texas education standards. They provide customized private local courses and online options. Courses are searchable by grade level, subject matter, and hours provided. There are a handful of free courses along with those available for a fee ($50). Click on the “self-paced courses” in the course catalog to find the online courses.
- UTAustinX: Check out these free online courses from the University of Texas at Austin. These courses will help you refine your teaching and classroom management skills along with your subject matter expertise. For more courses from UT Austin, visit the UTeach program. UTeach courses are specific to teachers but more expensive than the UTAustinX options.
- ATPE’s Professional Learning Portal: ATPE’s Professional Learning Portal offers tons of FREE online courses in a range of areas, including classroom management, testing, communication, stress management, and more. The Portal also allows you to track and manage all your CPE hours—even those acquired from other providers!
- Local Museums: Did you know many museums have summer professional development options for teachers? Check with the museums in your area to find out what options they offer. Classes offered by museums probably won’t be your typical professional development—but they might provide just the right dose of creativity that you need to jumpstart your year!
What professional development providers do you use most? Share your own favorites in the comments.
Not at ATPE member? Join today to become part of the state’s largest educator group.