Texas Teacher Loan Forgiveness Resources
Date Posted: 3/27/2017
Every teacher knows that a good education isn’t always cheap. If you’re battling student debt, check out these loan forgiveness resources for Texas educators.
- All Texas educators can apply for the Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program. This program is reserved for areas that suffer from a teacher shortage. In 2016, the maximum amount awarded was $2,500.
- Math and science teachers can pursue the Math and Science Scholars Loan Repayment Option. This program is dedicated to encouraging math and science graduates to pursue careers as Texas teachers.
- An additional option exists for speech-language pathologists and audiologists working in Texas public schools. The Loan Repayment Program for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists strives to eliminate the shortage of professionals working in these capacities in Texas public schools.
- At the federal level, teachers can apply for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program. This option is available to educators who have Federal Stafford or Federal Direct loans and have taught for five consecutive years. To apply, fill out this application form.
- The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is available to full-time public school educators who have already made 120 monthly loan payments.
- Teachers who have Federal Perkins Loans can apply for Federal Perkins Loan Program cancellation. Educators who work in special education, serve low-income students, or work in certain shortage areas (including math, science, foreign language, or bilingual education) may qualify for cancellation.
- For those who don’t qualify for any of the above options, income-based repayment may be a great option. This repayment plan is available to federal borrowers who have a high ratio of debt to income. Check your eligibility with the Department of Education’s Repayment Estimator.